3GPP has a specified release timeline to ensure the standard is delivered on time.
Release 16 is still anticipated in 2020 to line up with the ITU.
For the 5G timeline, there’re 3 drops as below:
- “Early drop” for Non-Standalone 5G
– Addresses the most urgent deployment needs for eMBB.
Uses LTE anchor with 5G NR in Dual Connectivity configuration.
– Accelerated specification to ensure a single global ecosystem.
- “Main drop” for Standalone 5G
It contains full standalone 5G support with 5G Core.
- “Late drop” for accelerated migration
It contains specs for all potential migration options.