Open and virtualized RAN, Open vRAN refers to a disaggregated approach of deploying virtualized mobile networks by using open and interoperable protocols and interfaces, implemented over a common propose hardware in a multi-vendor
software environment, allowing increased flexibility over traditional RAN architectures., aiming to provide OPEX and CAPEX savings while fostering innovation.
- Protocol stack that runs on proprietary hardware.
- Radio Unit and BBU are connected via proprietary interfaces.
- Single vendor provides both Radio Unit and BBU.
- Standardized SW-centric approach based on commoditized hardware.
- Open standard interfaces that ensure deployment of multi-vendor RU and CU/DU ecosystem, powered by an open-source. AI/ML-based platform designed for non and near-RT network functions (RIC).