This is not the first time we discussed the 3G Shutdown or Sunset topic, however, this time the numbers will talk 🙂
All UK mobile network operators have committed to closing their 3G networks.
- Vodafone UK, like EE, is planning to switch off its 3G network in early 2024.
- Three UK is planning to sunset its 3G network by the end of 2024 after a gradual phase-out.
- Virgin Media O2 is looking likely to be the final MNO to shut off its 3G services.
- EE will say goodbye to 3G in 2024 so that they can focus on strengthening their newer and more reliable 4G and 5G networks giving a better connectivity experience to our customers.
The Best Strategy to help in the 3G Sunset decision for MNO:
- Shut down in phases, you have to start by trial-city to switch off 3G and depend on only 2G,4G, and 5G to check the customer’s feedback on this region first.
- Study the 3G’s penetration in the network, as the below figure EE customers spend approximately 2.7% of their time connected to 3G networks according to Ofcom.
- Customer Awareness: as an MNO, you have to make a market campaign to distribute awareness about the impact of the 3G shutdown.
- Free 4G device Upgrade, MNO should offer the free option to upgrade to 4G or minimum cost for the customers.
- Education, MNO should offer good educational materials, especially for the elderly people.